Translate

Friday, August 16, 2013

Ray of Sunshine

This is it. Deep breath, hold it. One, two, three. The metal handle beneath my hand felt so icy as I swing the door back. This is torture, there's another big metal door Okay, This is it. exhale. I stepped over the threshold and I'm in a different world. First glance, I see the bar, I see some customers laughing at a private joke that isn't so private, the speak loudly, drunkenly. "Hey how's it going!! What can I do for you?" The bar tender yells over the music and leans closely to hear my request. "Are you guys looking for waitresses?" Some how I managed to clear the log in my throat to utter those six words. "YEAH! Here, take an application! I'll talk to the manager once you bring it in!" I smiled widely, "Thank you!" and walk out. That wasn't so bad Kelli Ray, Easy Cheese! I walk out of the club and back into the real world. Grinning. I Look across the parking lot and Keith is on his motor cycle looking at me quizzically. I make the application dance in front of me and he smiles back at me. "Looky what I've got." "Miss Ray that's great!" We talk and I giggle with excitement as he smokes his cigarette. So this is it, one last place to stop on my list of potential jobs. "Hey Guys, How are you doing tonight?" I spin on my heels to find a man not much taller than I, Medium build, he's an older gentleman, looks like he's in his thirties, the name tag says he's Frank, the manager. "Doing pretty good now that I'm going to be your best cocktail waitress." I smile shyly "Oh Really?" He smiles back at me, "When are you starting?" he asks as he takes a long drag from his cigarette "As soon as you need me to." I can't push aside the arrogance in my voice. He looks me up and down "How about tomorrow night at seven? Lets go get you some home work to study tonight." He motions with his head back to the club, when he turns I follow him. Back through those metal doors, back into their world, up the stairs and into a small office. He sits at the desk and I take the first seat in front of him. "What's your name doll?" "Kelli Ray." "Have you ever worked as a cocktail waitress before?" "No, I've been a waitress, but not in a bar or a club like this." "You learn fast?" "I pick up what I need." "Good, good. When you come to work, leave the bullshit at the door, you can be who ever you want to be here. Create a character, be her. She needs to be fun, energetic and flirtatious." I smile as he continues "Anyone you want to be, don't let the customers know any real information about you. You're not allowed to give out your number but you may take numbers, you're not obligated to talk to them outside of work and I don't suggest it. Dress code is black and sexy, no jeans. Be here tomorrow night at seven p.m we'll run a quick training after we scan your ID and copy your social." "Thanks Frank." "Not a problem Kelli, we're like a family here and we do our best to take care of our family."

After our initial meeting I float out of the club. I've got a job. It'll do for now, but we'll see if I can manage it. Keith is still waiting. "You get the job Miss Ray." it wasn't a question but I answer it like it is "Yep, and I'm starting tomorrow night." "So does that mean I get a lap dance." "I'm not a stripper Keith, don't make me smack you." He laughs and fires up the motorcycle. I jump on, placing my heels on the edge of the foot holds to keep my legs from bouncing. "I'm in looove with a stripperrr!" "I'M NOT A STRIPPER KEITH!" I yell as we take off and my words are lost in the wind but I know he heard me, he tips his head back and laughs deeply. My whole world is changing, the sunshine is peeking through the clouds and washing over me, filling me with appreciation, happiness and letting me know that every thing is going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment